ARPA (American Rescue Plan Act) Survey for Salem Residents
September 9, 2021
Salem Residents, please take the ARPA (American Rescue Plan Act) survey. Click here to learn more.
Earlier this year Congress passed the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), a far-reaching COVID recovery measure proposed by the Biden-Harris administration. This $1.9 trillion measure provides direct financial relief to Americans, assistance to businesses, and aid to states, counties, and municipalities.
The City of Salem will receive approximately $35 million in these relief funds over the course of the next two years. All of the funding must be expended by December 31, 2024. The broadly acceptable categories of use include costs incurred to:
- Respond to the COVID-19 public health emergency or its negative economic impacts, including assistance to households, small businesses, and nonprofits, or aid to impacted industries such as tourism, travel, and hospitality;
- Pay workers providing essential work during the COVID-19 public health emergency;
- Provide government services to the extent of the reduction in revenue to the City due to the COVID-19 public health emergency in the most recent full fiscal year; and
- Make necessary investments in water, sewer, or broadband infrastructure.
“Our goal now is to seek input and feedback from our community to help structure the City’s use of this funding,” said Mayor Kim Driscoll. “Salem residents rightly expect that we will be transparent and thoughtful with respect to this federal funding. There are no shortage of capital needs and this aid will provide an opportunity to plan and leverage resources for the benefit of everyone in our community.”
How you can provide your input:
- Take the City’s ARPA survey between now and September 17, 2021. The survey is available in English (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FR7LVV7) and in Spanish (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FRK3926).
- Participate in the City’s first ARPA public forum on September 28, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. A Zoom link for this forum will be posted here once it is available.
- Participate in the City’s second ARPA public forum on October 21, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. A Zoom link for this forum will be posted here once it is available.
- Submit your comments and feedback in writing to: City of Salem, Att: Federal Funds Manager, Salem City Hall, 93 Washington Street, Salem, MA 01970 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.